Monday, August 11, 2008

Faith, Fear and Friends

For those of you who don't know, the past month or so has been very difficult for my family. As I mentioned earlier, my father was diagnosed with cancer of the esophogus and is in the midst of treatment. My mom was diagnosed a little over a week ago with colon cancer. She will have surgery on Thursday and we are praying that she will not need chemo or radiation afterward since it was found early. Both of them are in good spirits and we are very hopeful that by October, both of them will have had their surgeries and will be on the mend.

Along with the fears that these diagnosis bring, I have tried to find the blessings that have also been present this past month...

*Lillie seeing the beauty of God's creation... she loved the beach and ocean!
*prayers from friends around the world...Swaziland to Canada to Sweden...
*A wonderful friend who is now watching Lillie until we get through these first difficult months. ( Janet will never know what a true gift from God she has been)
*A beautiful day and a drive... and a billboard I have passed before but never noticed until recently that celebrates the work of Central Baptist's Cancer Center
*Doctors who are working as a team to make sure both of my parents are receiving the best care possible
*A group of Co-workers who are quick to comfort, encourage, pray... and give a hug when needed
*Lillie's wonderful SLP and my friend, Ms. Emmi, who received Jessamine County's Elementary Excellence in Education Award! (Yeah)
*Encouraging notes from families whom I have never met, but who share a son or daughter from the same first home as my daughter
*A devotional sent from a dear friend that was just what I needed... a reminder to lean on my faith...
Psalm 73:23, “Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.” (NIV)

There are so many...

And of course, I thank God every day for the blessings that are my Mom and Dad!

Dear God,
I know that you are with us throughout the ups and downs of our lives. Help our family to feel your presence during this time. May we expereince the peace that knowing you are with all of us brings. I ask you to be a constant source of strength for mom and dad- hold them close, dear Lord. Forgive me for those times when I drift so far...sometimes there are so many questions... only you hold the answers.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
Shana has kept me in the loop on the updates on your Mom and Dad. We will keep them in our thoughts and prayers. Much love to you and Lillie during this stressful time!

Susan Beth and Kent

All 4 My Gals said...

Andrea,
I am so sorry to hear that your parents are both fighting cancer. Many prayers honey!
Nicole

Madeline Jade said...

Andrea,
Both of your parents are in our prayers every night. Keep your faith!
Love, Sarah and Madeline

day by day said...

Hi Andrea,

I am soooo sorry to hear that both of your parents have been diagnosed with cancer and at the same time. That is a lot for your family to deal with and I will be sure to keep you all in my prayers!

Sending [[hugs]] your way. Wish I lived closer so that I could help out in some way. Hang in there, my friend!

BTW...I got in touch with Jane and her opinion is Miao. I have been researching that minority group....very fascinating! Thanks for your help!

Keri said...

Andrea,
I am so, so, sorry. James and I enjoyed meeting and talking with your parents so much last January. We will definitely be praying for them during this time.

Keri

Anonymous said...

Dear Andrea,
God holds your Dad and Mom in His hands and loves them. They are His creation. He knew them before they were known to your Grandmothers Irene and Margarett. Please read Psalm 139 for a bit of comforting insight into how well we are known and loved by our Creator.
All of you are being prayed for around the world, even in Africa.
With my love, Roberta

Tishy said...

All my love and prayers to all of you. Please let me know if there is anything you need. I will be glad to help. I have a little girl in my class this year that has a gotcha day! She does not remember which part of China she says but she was soooo excited to tell me about her day.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you and Lillie bunches.

Loren Taylor

Keisha said...

Andrea,
I'm sorry to hear about your parents.. that is terrible! I will be praying for peace and comfort for you all during these difficult times!
love & hugs,
Keisha

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
May God give you strength when you need it most. You and your family will be in my prayers. I rely on this scripture quite often..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Love, Gloria Morris

Lilypie Date is set Ticker