Monday, June 09, 2008

11 Months since Family Day!

It is hard to believe it has been 11 months since China said Lillie and I were a family! She was "mine" in my heart 10 months previous, but our offical meeting and formal paperwork states our family day as 7/9/07. I think back often to this time last year, and what was occuring in both of our lives. I was on a mission trip with my youth group in Southern Texas and Mexico. The group picture is the amazing group of youth and adults that were a part of the mission trip.

Every time my phone rang that week, the kids would all ask, " Is it the call???" Each time, I was sad to tell them it was not Grace telling me I had travel approval. We then took a day trip into Mexico. We visited an Orphanage there and several of the communities that Good Samaritan Southwest Ministries is working in. It was hot and dusty and we had no air conditioning in the van. The picture says it all!!!!

My phone rang while we were still in Mexico, the kids all got excited, and I didn't know what to do! I worried that I would pay this huge amount for the call, only to find out it wasn't "the call". As soon as we reached the border I called and got the message...I had travel approval!

Halfway across the world, Lillie was still at the SWI. She had never heard English, she was living with many other children and had no understanding of how much her life was about to change. She had seen a few pictures, possibly had a few people tell her I was " ma ma" but I know that it was not something she could even begin to fathom.
11 months later, here we are... Lillie is sitting in the floor cutting and drawing and talking up a storm. She told me tonight that her dinner was 'licious. She has started to say "Love you, Mommy" clearly and has even said it without prompting a few times! ( She especially loves to do the sign for it!). She is happy and full of joy. She is loved my many!



Saturday, we went to our friend's Pig Roast. Last year it occurred right after we returned from China and was Lillie's first "outing". She stayed in my lap the entire time, fearful and uncertain. Her little head had recently been shaved and she was very quiet. This year, we sported pig tails and a swimsuit. She laughed and played and swam, making new friends and loving every minute of it! I found myself watching in awe...thinking about the difference.
What an amazing journey we have been taking together and how many great adventures are yet to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your posts about Lillie. She is such a beautiful, bubbly little girl that must bring everyone in her life so much joy! I will miss seeing you at the picnic this year (with Lillie this time).

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing what kinds of changes can occur in a year's time? Lillie has come such a long way in that time! Hope to see you in person soon!

Love, Meg

Snickerdoodle said...

I still remember bumping into you on the little shuttlebus which was taking us to our airplane...which would take us to Chongqing! I knew you instantly!

It was such a surreal trip!! You received your daughter just a few hours before I got my daughter! Still boggles my mind :)

Lillie is blossoming into a real beauty! She has the most wonderfully brilliant smile!! Pure happpiness.

Snick
dd Sunshine 7 Viet Nam
dd Brilliance 2 yesterday!! Fuling

Lilypie Date is set Ticker