Friday, October 27, 2006

A God Thing


Over the last few weeks I have been spending all of my extra time trying to learn more about Fuling, the welfare institute, other Fuling children, etc. I learned that in Fuling, there is a program called First Hugs that allows children to spend time interacting with Nannies to learn about bonding, affect and play skills. I emailed one of the mothers who helped start the First Hugs program to see if Lillie had been involved. Her response was amazing! She informed me that Lillie had, indeed been in the First Hugs program from 9/11/05 - 2/11/06. Exciting news, but her other statement, written at the bottom of her email said.... "by the way, I was there(Fuling) the day she was found." A simple statement that held such an amazing gift...someone who had a connection to the very early days of my daughter's life! Then, much to my amazment, there was a picture attached to the bottom of the email...a baby, wrapped in blankets, in the arms of the Welfare institute's caretaker!
I knew immediately that i was in a very small minority. Most people who adopt from China know very little about the first days of their child's life. Their knowledge of the early days, months or years is sketchy, with referral pictures being the only visual documentation of the years before the child joins the family. What i found on a seperate website were more than just one photo...there were seven, all documenting her being found and "checked out" in the infirmary. Although she did not have a note with her, she was wrapped in blankets and left at the gate of the orphanage with a bottle and a small amount of formula. In my heart, I want to believe that it must have been very painful for her family to leave her there. Yet I thank God for their sacrifice...for the care they gave her those first 4 days, and for the opportunity that i will have to raise her, knowing that she was loved by so many.
A simple email and a few pictures....isn't God awsome?

1 comment:

Marji said...

Andrea,

I clicked into your blog from the Fuling Kids group and wanted to add my congratulations on becoming a family. Lillie is precious and gorgeous and I hope you are holding her soon. I am responding from this post because that photo of tiny Lillie has me in tears. My tiny Mimi was found outside the gates of the SWI and I'm imagining my own sweet sweet child on a counter, being processed and checked over and I can hardly stand that I wasn't there to hold her and soothe her and make her my own. I know you feel the same way and I know you know what an amazing treasure you've been given with this photo and all of the photos/videos you've received from parents and mission workers, so unique and wonderful.
I can't wait to see the best photo of all, you and Lillie together.

Lilypie Date is set Ticker