Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thoughts of China

Three years ago today, my beautiful daughter was found by the gatekeeper at the Fuling Social Welfare Institute. As you can see, she was dressed in a pink outfit and wrapped in blankets. Though paperwork said nothing was with her, the pictures show a small plastic bag with formula inside.



My thoughts over the last several days have gone to a woman in China who had to give up her child three years ago today. I don't know why she made the choice...whether it was because of the one child policy, because of limited resources, because of Lillie's limb difference.... but I feel certain that it was painful to leave the child she carried 9 months. I can't even begin to understand the pain that must go along with not knowing the future of your baby. I have cried a few times, feeling the overwhelming joy I experienced since Lillie's arrival...knowing she must feel the same overwhelming pain. I pray that she can feel a sense of peace. That she knows Lillie is loved. That she will somehow know that she is included in our prayers, along with the others in China who love Lillie.
I am so thankful for the pictures I have of Lillie's first day at the SWI because I think they will help Lillie know she was loved, even as she was beginning her life at Fuling SWI.

4 comments:

Snickerdoodle said...

Hi, how on earth did you get those pictures??? What a treasured gift! Wow!

Someone loved your daughter enough to wrap her in lovely things.

Snick
dd Sunshine 7 in a few days (Viet Nam)
dd Brilliance 2 in June (Fuling)

Anonymous said...

I love you Andrea, and am daily thankful that you and Lillie found each other. I am so proud of you for teaching her to love, to laugh, and to hang on to her heritage. I'm so ridiculously proud of you! And cannot wait for the day when our calendars finally clear up enough for Lillie and Maddy to know one another!--Julie RB

Tishy said...

These pictures are just so precious. I know they tug at your heart strings on so many levels. The sacrifice that her birth mother made gave you your child. The weight of that I know gets overwhelming at times. It was pure divine intervention and God has and will continue to touch the heart and life of Lillie's birth family just like he touched yours. The pictures just show her growing and changing each day. I cannot believe the transformation that has taken place through the pictures. I can only imagine how she changes each day in person. Her incredible spirit remains constant, but the light, joy and love that surrounds her just shines through! You are such a great Mama.

LifeWithTheFerrells said...

What a blessing to have those pictures! That is wonderful. I wish they took pictures of all the children on thier first day like that. You have quite a treasure. Happy to hear how well Lillie is doing. I love seeing the difference in these kids before you get them, their eyes are just blank almost no life, to full of life within days of meeting their new families. Adoption is a miracle!
God Bless
Tina

Lilypie Date is set Ticker