Monday, January 29, 2007

Bai Jia Bei...the 100 Good Wishes Quilt

“To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a scrapbook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. “
I would love to do this for Lillie! I would love for everyone who has a special wish for Lillie to help with this project! Your time and help will be greatly appreciated… and I think it will be a wonderful way to welcome Lillie and to continue a tradition from her home country!
If you would like to contribute, please send a 6"x6" square of 100% cotton fabric. It can be gently used fabric that is special, or just be fabric you really like! When you send the fabric for the quilt I would also appreciate your sending a "wish" or prayer or blessing on a card with your name and address and a small piece of the cloth attached to it. I will make a scrapbook for Lillie to have when she is older that will tell her about how much she was loved before she arrived. Her "Wishes" Book with the matching material from the will help to tell her story.
Thank you for helping with this special project! I will post pictures of the Quilt when it is complete! I am hoping my wonderful cousin Ashley…quilter extrordinaire, will help me with this project. She is already creating beautiful quilts for Lillie and her friends in Fuling!
Send fabric and wishes for the quilt to:
Andrea Nielsen
401 Redding Rd #16
Lexington, Kentucky 40517

Thank you for loving Lillie!

2 comments:

Laura said...

oooh what an awesome concept! I'm definitely in.

Anonymous said...

Caroline and I got our fabrics this week, and are taking them to Ashley so she can cut them correctly. I think this is a terrific idea!
Meg

Lilypie Date is set Ticker